I always wanted to be a doctor
for as long as I can remember. As a teen, the choice seemed to perfectly
meld my affinity for science, academics, and helping others. For ten long
years, I lived, breathed, and worked towards my goal to become not just another
one, but one fine doctor.
In school, I studied the
foundational cornerstones of science and humanities and focused on how health
impacts the rest of our lives. In college, I learned about different aspects of
each organ system and marvelled at the miracles of the human body. During post
graduation, I strode in the wards during the wee hours of the morning, rubbing
the sleep out of my eyes as I provided care to patients. When I finally
achieved my goal to call myself a certified maxillofacial surgeon, I beamed as
I walked into my new workplace that had my name posted on the wall outside the
department.
Despite my lofty dreams and
expectations, practising maxillofacial surgery was nothing like I hoped it
would be. My days were filled with opportunities to meet and grow with
patients and families, but my tit-bits of time were sliced into 10-15 minute
increments. As my practice size increased, I was persistently pressured
to add extra patients over my lunch hours, before the day started, and into
time slots already booked with other patients. The need to move
increasingly efficiently sparked anxiety within me. I was halfway through
greeting one patient before I was also surreptitiously listening for the
opening and closing of the room door to signal that another patient was
waiting.
The physical and emotional
work of completing a visit every 10-15 minutes, repeatedly refreshing my smile
before I burst into the next room began to make me feel like a machine.
As a robot in the factory of medicine, the demands of my job pulled at my greatest
skills of empathy and compassion, two of the character traits that made me most
suited for primary care. However hard I tried, it was hard to feel
compassionate for a patient when I was already ignoring my raging headache,
need to urinate, and fatigue. Despite my gut instinct to address the “one
last thing” that patients often bring up at the end of a visit, the pressure of
metrics that detailed my length of visit and wait time for patients pressurized
me to ignore their concerns, even if my actions translated into another visit,
another day.
When I did have time to sit
down, I was crowded into the corner of a small room shared by two other doctors,
trying to make phone calls, complete patient records, and converse with staff.
My brain and my inner self were desperate for peace, though I knew it would be
only moments before the next patient was ready in the next room to begin again.
By the time I got home each
evening, I was a deflated emotional balloon, sucked of energy and ambition and
left with little to share. When my own wife rushed to greet me, I offered her a
quick hug and then silently wished she would quiet down. After dinner, I
rested with her until it was time to open my laptop again and work through
additional papers, e-mails, and other tasks. My wife personified my
laptop as a bed-fellow in our marriage. I struggled for the emotional
energy to make my steadfast lifetime partner feel loved.
I attended various meetings where
doctors were referred to as “lazy, whiny, irresponsible, and unmotivated”.
I gazed through the picturesque windows of the large halls as I listened to the
mantra that we need to see more patients, more efficiently, and work longer
hours as if I were listening to the drumbeat at a funeral march.
Doctors are tasked to learn
and practice mindfulness, meditation, and regular exercise. While I try
to make exercise a priority, I simply can’t find the time to learn the other
soul-saving techniques in my current work environment. I think it is not
only a doctor’s responsibility to take care of ourselves, but the scaffolding
of the health care system needs allow for practices that will sustain those of
us at its very core.
I sometimes feel worn out by
the push to provide efficient and effective care for others while ignoring my
own personal needs. I am saddened by the palpable wounds that I have left
in my personal life through lack of energy, lack of engagement, and inability
to be there when people need me. I am discouraged that despite so many
years of focus and sacrifice, Google has become a smarter and more esteemed doctor
than I. I am worried that the advent and elevation of pseudo-science has
led to opinions of thousand doctors being outweighed by the thoughts of a
handful of rebels.
As I am thinking to re-cultivate
the human that has been suppressed by the robot that provided medical care, I
look forward to regaining the health and happiness that we seek for all.
No comments:
Post a Comment